Re: SRSG info

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Zoran, All,

   Generally, once you move to an LTR capacitor an SRSG running at 120bps
is desirable.  They fire around the peaks of the AC mains, and though
static gaps will try to do this, they don't always succeed.  The hot
ionized air in the gap reduces the breakdown voltage, causing them to fire
at a lower voltage.

  Instead of an SRSG you can build a triggered gap that Marc M. pioneered,
using an ignition coil, light dimmer, and motor run cap.  Those gaps
perform very well, run at 120bps with enough adjustment to find the sweet
spot, and are much easier (and cheaper) to construct than a rotary gap.

The PDF on Ted Rosenberg's site
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/

  will give you all the information you need to build Marc's TSG.  The site
is good reading, too.

Hope it helps!

At 10:10 PM 6/18/2003, you wrote:
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><zoran.bogunovic-at-gm-dot-com>
>
>Would like to know if there is a rule of thumb relative as at what point do
>you switch over from stationary spark gap to SRSG?
>Is there a some sort of a criteria, because I was told that if you are
>running under 2kW of power there is no need for SRSG, just stick with the
>pipes?
>Comments welcome

Shad (Sundog)
G-5 #1373
"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"