Re: Need help identifying the terminals on my first NST, and how

Original poster: "Steve Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

 > I just received my first NST in the mail.  It's a Magnetek Jefferson
 > Electric Luminous Tube Transformer:

Congratulations... Welcome to Tesla coiling! First a word on safety: You
must be 100% sure that high-voltage apparatus is not powered before touching
it. Don't just turn it off, take the plug out of the wall socket and
double-check that it is out before touching anything.

A relatively safe and fun way of testing a NST is by making a Jacob's Ladder
with it. Attach two long pieces of coat hanger wire to the S1 and S2
terminals and bend them into a Jacob's Ladder shape. Make sure the wires are
at least 1" clear of the NST case and close enough to each other (about
1/4") at the bottom. Then stand clear and turn the power on. The arc from a
12/30 NST ought to stretch out to at least an inch.

P.S. Take care of your NST. Use a Terry Filter, safety gaps, and a LTR sized
capacitor. I didn't, and burnt my first one out within 5 minutes.

Steve C.