Re: NST in oil design to help prevent NST failures

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 11:47 AM
Subject: NST in oil design to help prevent NST failures

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

[cut]

 > I'm trying to optimize the design to keep the costs affordable for members
 > of this list.  Will keep you posted.  The bobbins and the windings aren't
 > the problem --- it's optimizing laminated core costs to make it all work
 > out.

What is the problem you are having? While standard EI laminations probably
lack the creepage you want for a several kVA transformer, there are choke
cores in that approximate size, maybe even having legs sawed off a three
phase core might work, since they have more space for the core. I can
imagine custom stampings would be a hassle and costly in a small run.

KEN