Re: Statistics & spark length

Original poster: "Harold Weiss by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi All,

I think it should be based on a ten second timeframe.  If it can strike the
object multiple times (3+) within that timeframe.  Remember, streamers don't
always want to go to a grounded object.  Also, if there is turbulent air in
the vacinity, which can shorten streamers, it will allow some time for it to
clear.

With my 6" coil in calm conditions, I can strike at 36" 6-10 times within 10
seconds.  I have also watched streamers that went below the target, that
measured 42".  The target that I use is a grounded boom microphone stand.
The tip of the boom is 5/8" tubing.  I got the 42" measurement by measuring
from the torrid to the point on the boom that corresponded with where I saw
the tip of the streamer.  The streamer was at a downward angle to the boom,
so it could have been 45".

As you can see from the above example, max streamer length is pretty much a
guesstimate.  I agree that coils should be measured by Maximum Strike
Distance or MSD.  It would cut down on the guesstimates, and give us solid
lengths to work with.  So I could say my coil has a MSD of 36".  We should
also come up with a standard target configuration as part of this.

David E Weiss

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>