Re: Statistics & spark length

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 >  > Howdy,
 >  >
 >  > I have a question regarding maximum spark length reporting.  As I take
my
 >  > fixed, grounded rod away from the toroid, it passes through several
zones.
 >  > The first has a continuous arc to the rod.  Going further results in
 >  > occaisional hits, becoming less and less frequent.  Eventually there
are
 >  > just large, purple coronal arcs flying to thin air; relatively rarely
one of
 >  > these makes a slight detour and touches the grounded rod.
 >  >
 >  > So which one of these is, by convention, regarded as the maximum spark
 >  > length?
 >
 > I think that most people reports the maximum ever observed.

I disagree with this.  I feel to claim a particular maximum spark length,
the tesla coil must be able to make this spark distance on a repeated basis.
For example, there will always be some fluke spark which seems to defy all
reasoning, but it is unfair (in my opinion) to claim this as maximum spark
length of
a coil.  You need at least some kind of repeatability.  Like hitting a
target once a second or once every few seconds would seem fair.

The Captain