Re: how to caculate wattage of a nst

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/6/03 12:28:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>However, the capacitive load of a Tesla coil primary tends to overcome the
>ballast inductance of the NST and 'suck' extra power out of it. Terry Fritz
>and John Freau have studied this effect in detail but I think the result is
>to just about double the power. So kV multiplied by mA ought to be a good
>estimate and in fact that's how most folk seem to rate their NST coils.
>Could be a coincidence, though! Terry and John, what do you think?
>
>Steve C.

Steve,

When fed with 140 volts, and running with an LTR cap, my
12kV, 30ma NST (normal NST), draws about 620 watts, but
the actual NST output power may be about 500 watts, but
that's a rough measurement.

Using resonant charging, I think I was getting a 620 watt power draw
with 120 volts input.  Again, the output may have been about
500 watts.

All the above from memory.  I'd have to look up my notes to be
sure.  The above tests were with an SRSG.

John