Re: capacitance formula

Original poster: "robert & june heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

PL: let me show the flaw , In par 1 you separate the two sheets with a plate
of Al. Now to show the problem .Capacitance is directly proportional to the
area and inverse to the spacing. YES you now have two capacitors, BUT
spacing is now 1/2 and capacitance is double in each half to give C total
the same. Ie . now 200 pf and 200pf gives Ct= 100  same, NOW change the
dialectric constant of one series capacitor and you now have 200 pf in
series with 210 pf and the total is not the same it is 102pf for Ct. Your
illistration dose not take account of the fact that you changed the spacing.
In a real capacitor with mixed dialectric the effect is parallel not series
because the spacing is not changed only the total dialectric constant even
if powdered mica is added to oil  the effect is parallel not series.
--         Robert   H

 > From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
 > Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:01:53 -0600
 > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
 > Subject: Re: capacitance formula
 >
 > Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"