Re: Designing Magnifier set-up for a twin coil system - Design guidelines ? ? ?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Dan,

On 2 Jun 2003, at 20:07, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > I was kind of bored one day and decided to wind (2) identical 3.5" dia x 20"
 > length secondary coils since I have (2) nice 8" x 2" aluminum spun toroids.
 > Wasn't sure what I was going to use them
 > for but I think I'd like to try a magnifier driven twin coil system which
 > would be powered at relatively low power (maybe a 12kv/60mA NST or
 > something)
 >
 > Anyways, I guess the best arrangement for this is to have each lead of the
 > secondary winding of the magnifier connect directly to the base of the
 > resonator coil, and the primary of the magnifier being
 > fed like a typical tesla circuit.
 >
 > I've drawn a picture of how I think it might work.  Could you let me know if
 > this looks right, or if I missed the boat altogether.
 > (Sorry, the picture is pretty sad looking)
 >
 > http://users.snip-dot-net/~liche/magnifier.jpg
 >

 > Anyways, if this does look correct, what are some typical design guidelines
 > on how to design the magnifier around the rest of the circuit.   I think
 > this may be more of a 1/2wave type system than
 > the typical tesla coil.
 >
 > Any help appreciated.
 >
 > Thanks

I'd centre-tap the driver secondary and ground it to keep the sydtem
in some kind of balance should a spark from one extra coil strike
something while the other didn't.

Malcolm