Plane wave antenna making

Hi All,

I am going to loan my plane antenna to DC for awhile:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/planant/waveant3.html

The most obnoxious part about making these is the etching of the grid pattern:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/planant/Image133.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/planant/Image136.jpg

So I thought this would be a good time to try it with a solid plane
instead.  So I whipped one up:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/030601-01.jpg

it seems to work fine:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/030601-02.gif

The wave form is still very true without any problems.  I was originally
worried about eddy currents and such floating around in a solid plane, but
it does not seem to mater.  One "could" put a few simple slits in it too I
guess...

In this case, I am just driving a toroid with a signal generator and the
attenuation is 5000:1 at 5 inches.  Of course, for a real operating coil
that distance might be 15 to 20 feet so the attenuation might be more like
100000:1.

So if one wants to make one of these and you can't etch the nice pattern
easily, just leave it solid.

I also fine I hardly ever use the current sensing side for anything.  Just
making the simple voltage side probably covers 99% of the uses.  It is also
best to use very small leaded resistors and capacitors for the
antenna.  Trying to solder those delicate surface mount components to try
and squeeze out better performance is a real pain and probably not needed.

Cheers,

	Terry