RE: K formula?

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Peter -

There are several methods to test for the TC K Factor, however, I know of
only 3 that are useful to coilers.

1. Short the secondary and find frequencies with a grid dip meter (or other
meter) as shown in my TCC Guide.

     K = sqrt(1-(Fo/Fs)^2)

2. Mutual Inductance Test as shown in my TCD Manual.

     K = Lm/(sqrt(LpLs))    Lm = Vs dt/di

3. Two Hump Test

     K  = (F2 - F1)/Fr  approximation
     Fr = F1 + (F2 - Fl)/2

     K  = (F2^2 - F1^2)/(F1^2 + F2^2) (Antonio & Bert)
     Fr = ??

I find it is a good idea to use all three tests. They never give the same
results but are close. The resonant frequency assumes that the primary and
secondary circuits are both tuned to the resonant frequency.

John Couture