RE: Calculating E-Field of SSTC or Tesla Coil

Hi John,

At 08:35 PM 7/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Terry -
>
>I agree the programs are getting better. However, there are still problems
>when it comes to tests like the toroid capacitance reduction when placed on
>the secondary. What is required is a standardized testing method for all of
>the Tesla coil measurements. The programs are getting too precise to be
>checked by tests as in the past. This is also a problem because if the
>program is incorrect no one will spot the problem assuming the test is
>wrong.
>
>John Couture

Paul will ask that we need zero ohm impedance signal generators and
"pingers" averaging 512 "tests" to extract super accurate data at this
point.  It becomes a problem for "purisits" trying to seek that last detail
of accuracy...  We have all those low-Z boxes and stuff....

But really, if we are within 1%, who cares?

"Practical" accuracy is far exceeded now.........

I don't think the high level programs really need "us" right now...  "In
the beginning" "we" guided them to the "true" path...  But now, I think
"they" guide "us"!!!

I always used actual measurements to guide my models and verify them.  But
now, the roles are reversed.  Rather than trying to have the models "able"
to verify our measurements, we are at a point of having our measurements
"trying" verify the models...  The models are good enough we assume "they"
are right...

Actual measurements have all that accuracy of the equipment, fly's buzzing
around, beer cans in the way...  But the computer guys with 64 bit
processors and 2gig of ram on board at 3GHz...  The computers are taking
over....  We must realize, "simply" that the computer's calculations are
"better" than even those of us with the best equipment can measure!!!

Cheers,

         Terry