Re: how many caps for a 1.5 KVA 14.4 KV transformer?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Capacitor size strongly depends on what type of gap you are using (synch,
asynch, static, etc...) and also what you will be ballasting your
transformer with.  Don't just choose 0.0257uF just because my results seem
to be pretty good.  If you are using an asynch gap, then capacitor
size can be fairly flexible ranging from 0.01uF up to 0.04uF for a 14.4kv
transformer set at about 3.5kVA.  However, synch gaps and static gaps
are a completely different story.

The geek group has calculators and design charts on their webpage.
I believe the link is:

http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc

The Captain

 > IF i go for .0257, how many rows (and how big should the rows be) of geek
 > group caps should i use? I was thinking along 2 strings of 14.
 >
 > Thanks
 > Adam
 > Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz "
 >
 > I'm using the same potential transformer and getting 6 foot continous
 > streamers with occasional hits out to 7 foot.
 > My specifications are:
 >
 > 1.5kVA, 14.4kV Potential Transformer running at 3.0 to 3.5kVA
 > 0.0257uF capacitor (MMC)
 > Asynchronous spark gap
 >
 > The Captain
 >

 >  > I just completed a similar coil. I run a 1.5 kVA PT at 3.6 kVA with
 >  > inductive series ballast. I used a .05 MFD cap and I'm hitting solid 5
 > ft.
 >  > sparks on a 40 inch x 8.25 OD winding of 22 AWG 200 degree C. wire. I'm
 >  > running asynchro gap at 173 bks/sec. Topload is 24 x 6 inch toroid.
 >  >
 >  > When I finish the coeff. of coupling adjustments next week I hope to
gain
 > 6
 >  > inches more spark.
 >  >