RE: differential probes

Hi Jimmy,

I got the boards today and was working on them tonight.  I had to chop
things up a "little" :o)) but I think they will work very well.  Here are
the changes the boards could use so far.  I had better write them down
before I forget ;-)

1.  Lets take the MOVs off the board.  It is best if the board just has
solder eyes for the HV wires.  We can just solder the MOVs to the fuse
holders and ground terminals rather than clog the board with them.

2.  The 1K feed back resistors need to be 2K.

3.  There is some offset and I think we can use the Vocm pin to fix that.

4.  We need the expensive 10nF caps after all.

5.  The 2K resistors need ~~50pF of compensation.

6.  To go to a BNC cable, we need to put 50 ohm in series with the output
to match the cable.

7.  The feedback path was very noisy,  I had to chop it all out.  Need to
get ride of the ground plane near the input and reposition the 2K resistors
right on the input.

8.  I replaced the 1 Meg 1/2 resistors with low voltage surface mount
ones.  The big resistors were very noisy.  Hard to wait for DigiKey to get
the right ones...

Our input capacitance is about 0.2pF!!  That is extremely low and
great.  Tek uses a parallel capacitor with the input which gives smoother
response but sure can load down high frequency stuff.  Our response is not
quite as perfect but we don't need that very expensive cap either.

Running the board next to the Tek 5205 looked very good.  Our rise time is
the same as theirs.  they compare well.  I was able to get a good 10MHz
response.  Seem to have a resonance around 13.8MHz.

I still need to do a lot of other tests but all is looking well.

Cheers,

         Terry