Re: hi freq's and computers

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

You're going to have to explain to me why it matters if the PC is
functioning.  As I see it, all the cords and cables act as antennas.  The
ICs and other goodies on the "inside" of the computer doesn't care if the
circuit is powered up or not for the HV, RF "stuff" the "antennas" picked
up to fry the circuits.

That being said, the only way we were able to kill the CPU at the thon was
to take the cover off, and start pulling wires above the the case.  The
fire was *NOT* started by the TC....  After 15 minutes of attempting to
"fry" it, someone got a little "creative" with some lighter fluid....  We
theorize that the metal Farady cages that also happen to be the CPU and
monitor cases shielded all the "stuff" from the electronics.  The keyboard
died early on, after sustaining many repeated hits to one part of the
keyboard.  We're still not sure if the K/B itself died or the controller in
the CPU box fried.

That reminds me - we gotta find something "interesting" to do for our thon
finale in 8 days....  anyone have any suggestions?  "Destroying things for
the benefit of science" is preferred, but anything "cool and interesting"
will do.

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group