Re: Source for different colored (gas) NEON Tubes

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>...I'd like to display some neon tubes with the

>variety of different colors.
         _neon_ comes in one color: red orange.

         Other colors come one of two ways:
                 Different gas fill
                 Different gas fill (usually Mercury)
                 plus selected fluorescent liners.
         (careful examination of most store signs that
         are not _neon_ will indicate case 2: trick tube
         coating...)

>Does anyone have a good source for these.  I always see

>everyone has these small 1ft-2ft red, blue, green tubes etc...
         These used to be a standard school lab supply

         item.  I Assume still available, however I have
         last touch...
         Looks like successor is
                 www.sargentwelch-dot-com
         Title page has a van de Graaf
         Casual search on 'discharge tube' turned up
         some likely possibilities.  May be other,
         cheaper, sources.

         (Speculation:
         Has anyone tried discarded 'neon' SIGNS?
         Dunno what the failure mode(s) are, however MIGHT
         be that a 'failed' tube which would not fire on
         standard transformer would react nicely to

                 'Throw another KV at it' (TM)

         8)>>)

         Mayhap someone else will have a cheaper suggestion.

--
         best
         dwp

..