Re: differential probes

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 16 Jul 2003, at 6:33, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Daniel Barrett by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dbarrett1-at-austin.rr-dot-com>

 >      Hi All!
 >      Just a thought here- This spark gap section could really just be
part of
 > the PC layout: Route the potentially high current signals with maybe 10 mil
 > tracks, separated from each other by an inch, but "T" off a spark gap
 > between these tracks. That way an arc will occur in a controlled spot on the
 > board and the feeding traces will be small enough to vaporise. Should
 > provide an easy to make fuse, but I guess the board would need a lot of
 > rework between accidents ;)
 > db

The problem I see with that (and I've seen it numerous times in
equipment servicing) is that the arc will continue, carbonizing the
board material which might well render the board throwaway material.

Malcolm