High Voltage but Low Current fuses...

Hi All,

My differential probes and cap life test seem to require fuses with the
following characteristics:

1.  ~30000 V withstand and break.

2.  About 250mA of fuse current, but NOT at all critical.  The current is
either 100 mA (normal) or 500 amps (Yipps!!  turn it
off!!)  ;-))  Basically a far "much less than 1 amp" but very high voltage
fuse...

3.  A few amps of break current.  If say a pulse cap were to discharge
though it, the current might be very high briefly, but it would quickly
drain off.  Hi instantaneous currents are ok, but the sustained current the
fuse would need to stop are low like a few amps (MOT).

MOVs can take a hit, but then the current needs to "stop" before they burn
up...

4.  Cheap ;-))  Maybe something a person could just make themselves or find
at some easy to by from source (web sales and "individual" purchasers ok).

I was thinking of winding a long thin wire on a "star" form in a long
spiral to provide many break points and a long arc path would work.  I hear
that putting it in baking soda or sand helps...  I see people drawing those
big six inch arcs of a MOT which is "bad" for a fuse that has to stop such
arcs...  A fuse on the MOT would stop that 20 amp draw on the primary...

Any ideas are welcome.  Both of my little projects seem to need darn good
high voltage fuses...  The fuses themselves might become the third project
;-))

Cheers,

	Terry