re: failed car ignition

At 07:51 AM 7/9/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Black Moon by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><black_moons-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>60 to 100khz? gez, everyone and there grandmas smps uses that freqency!
>And if they don't, they probley use one lower that has a harmonic of that
>freqency (Smps = squarewave = tons of noise all over)
>CRT monitors operate around that freqency with a sawtooth wave, (horzontal
>scan) so they can probley cross over and interfer.. Lots of stuff is
>probley pertty close to that freqency, what a horrable freqency to pick

On the other hand, it's also a good frequency band to choose for inductive
coupling... You have to couple both a signal and power to the key so that
it can operate.  This is fairly standard RFID technology.  As far as
interference goes, it's all a matter of design.

 From an interference standpoint, you're mostly worried about magnetic
fields and the loops which radiate the EMI are quite small, and the field
drops off quite quickly (because it's the net field from a magnetic
dipole.. get very far away and, in a rough and ready conceptual sense, the
field from the N end of the dipole is exactly as strong as the field from
the S end of the dipole, and it neatly cancels.