From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 10:53 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Hi Matt,

"I" always think of a "Tesla coil" as an "air core resonant transformer
capable of creating enormous voltages and colossal discharges" as
defined
in the clip at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/tesla%20coil.mpg

It is very possible Tesla himself designed and maybe constructed vacuum
tube Tesla coils.  The basic principle behind the OLTC (low voltage -
high
current) must have certainly been considered by Tesla.  But he did not
have
the means to make it work, so he went with high voltage and low current
primaries instead.  Solid State coils work much as Tesla envisioned but
only with a different gap technology.

We also attribute Tesla's name to our coils just out of respect and to
promote his great name.  When you hear the name of "Tesla", few will
think
of the unit of magnetic measurement named after him.  "Gauss" won that
(rightfully so, since his staggering brilliance had a giant impact on
the
world too...)  There is the band...  But mention "Tesla coil" and
everyone
knows who your talking about ;-))  Recently, Tesla has gained far more
note
for AC power among the "population" too ;-))  But Tesla coils are all
Tesla's...  No one can claim anything there but the master himself.  We
also have "Tesla coil caps", "Tesla coil transformers", Tesla coil spark

gaps"...  Type "tesla coil" into E-bay and you will find the term is
getting a lot of wannabes "wishing" they had something to do with Tesla
coils  :o)))  So the term "Tesla coil" has grown far beyond a mere
definition now.  Not sure "what" it is now.  Maybe Ralph knows the
proper
term...

Cheers,

          Terry