Re: power factor correction?

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

 > In a message dated 7/7/03 7:07:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >

 > >This describes my cap from the dump! Mine is the size of a fat, black soda
 > >can.
 > >Well, what now? It works so "if its not broke don't fix it".
 > >Unless, that is, I can expect to get better sparks.
 > >
 > >Read you later
 > >Josh
 >

 > Hi Josh,
 >         This may work fine until the moment it does an excellent imitation
 > of a fragmentation grenade, after which you may not be in a position to fix
 > it. If you are standing near it when it does, you may be the one that is
 > "fixed" (in the veterinary sense).

Any cap can pop open and spew hot junk all over the place. Motor run caps
do it, electrolytics caps do it. The scariest cap I came across was a
metal can motor run looking cap that was hot and bulging. Most don't have
pressure vents. I'm sure it would have popped open if not replaced.
Electrolytic caps (even phenolic start ones) have pressure vents and
plugs that pop out or rubber seals that burst. Awful awful stuff squirts
out before they explode.

KEN