RE: 'true" spark length was Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Steve -

The concept of the controlled spark is to have as much of a constant TC load
as possible rather than a random load when testing Tesla coils. I believe
that the best that can be done is to have a spark for each bang in the TC
system. This is easily calculated as

   Watts per bang = total input watts/BPS

The controlled spark would be a continuous horizontal spark from the
secondary terminal to a ground point. The distance would be found by
starting with a short spark length and then increasing the distance until a
point is reached where the spark does not occur at each bang. It is obvious
this makes more sense than using a random spark length when the input watts
is used. Note that the input watts are actually watt-seconds energy on a
continuous basis.

This test would no doubt be improved as coilers get ideas while using it.
The OLTC may be a problem but I think only trying this test procedure will
point out the problems. One problem arises immediately. I have found that
with this test the small coils are more efficient than large coils. This is
not correct and the reason is that the spark distance represents mainly the
voltage. The current (spark core) has to be considered in some other manner.
In other words one equation

    Overall efficiency = watts in/watts out
    Watts in = Volts x amps x cos(x)
    Watts out = K (spark inches x core factor)

K would be a variable to convert the spark and core values into watt
seconds. The core factor would be found using a graph which would be made
from test data for a typical TC systems of varying sizes. There is a lot
more needed.

John Couture