Re: Tesla Coils and generators

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/7/03 10:43:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz
><teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Hi everyone,
>Is it possible to run a moderate (around 3 to 5 kva) Tesla coil off of a
>generator? The equipment would still be the usual pole pig ballasted by arc
>welder setup, grounded to earth ground, etc. It would however, not be
>reliant on rarer 240 V wiring, for easier portability and such. Any inherent
>problems with this? Thanks.
>

>-Chris

Hi Chris,
It should work fine. A TC does not care how the electricity is generated.
Most generators have two ratings, peak power and continuous power. Unless
you have the $$ resources to repair/replace, I would not recommend
exceeding the "continuous" rating. Just be sure you have the mother of all
EMI filters, lightning arrestors, etc., on the generator output. Home-duty
generators are not usually designed for lightning strikes or heavy RF hash
coming back at them. You need to be more considerate of the power company
when IT is YOU. ;-)

Matt D.