RE: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,

On 4 Jul 2003, at 12:58, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

 > Malcolm -
 >
 > Isn't this an induction coil that operates when the buzzer contacts open not
 > when the contacts close as with a Tesla coil? It could therefore not operate
 > in cap discharge fashion. The capacitor would be to protect the buzzer
 > contacts from the inductive kick (back emf) of the coil and not as a storage
 > cap as in a Tesla coil.
 >
 > John Couture

I dug out the book over the weekend and perused the relevant section.
Tesla's description of it is that of an "entirely new principle of
operation" or words to that effect. I have scanned some pages to send
to Richard if his bandwidth permits sending a 6MB-odd file. The coil
is not iron-cored. It is essentially a halfwave coil with two
sections wound as lumped inductors - at least that is my reading of
it. I will do a further check this evening. You may be right.

Malcolm