Re: Teflon as RSG-disk material

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I wondered if Teflon would be a good material for making my new RSG disk...
>I searched the web for this but only found G10 and tufnol disks, both
>materials I can't get hold of.
>Teflon has very good heat resistance properties but does it have enough
>strength to carry four 1/4" electrodes on a 12" dia, 1/2" thick Teflon disk
>at 3000rpm .....
>
>any suggestions welcome.
>
>sincerely
>
>Christoph Bohr

Hi Christoph,
        IIRC, anything imbedded in Teflon (like electrodes and shafts)
tends to "creep" under stress. The interface between Teflon and other
substances tends to be slippery, and more so when hot. You can use this for
a while, but you have to inspect it very carefully before and after each
run, and may be replacing it sooner than you would want.

Matt D.