Re: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Original poster: "RMC by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <RMC-at-richardcraven.plus-dot-com>

John

 > Was the diagram you received the one that is shown on page 75 in the book
 > "My Inventions" by Nikola Tesla and edited by Ben Johnson?

It seems that the diagram I have been sent does apparently come from the
same source that you refer to.  If this is the diagram for the photograph
whose URL I posted earlier, then I argue that the said photograph and the
diagram are both Tesla coils.

 > I believe the coil in your photo is an induction coil because in this
 > circuit the normally closed buzzer contacts short circuits the capacitor.
 > When the relay coil is energized the contacts open
 > and a current flows from the relay coil thru the Tesla primary and thru
the
 > capacitor.

 >With a true Tesla coil the energy is built up in the Tesla primary
capacitor

I understand the point you make about Tesla coils using a capacitor to store
energy which is then switched into the primary of said coil. I suggest that
the diagram we are now discussing does just that - the contacts are arranged
to be change over contacts.

To start, current begins flowing through the "adjustable iron core(d)" coil
and, via the "primary of tesla coil", charges the condenser. This initial
flowing current immediately pulls in the NC contact, disconnecting the LHS
of the capacitor (which connects to the upright "Terminal of condesner"
ontheleft of the diagram).

When the capacitor has largely charged and the current flowing into it has
decreased, the pulled-in contact drops out and in doing so provides a
discharge path for the capacitor.

Cheers

RMC, England