RE: Early versions of Tesla's coil

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

RMC -

I believe the coil in your photo is an induction coil because in this
circuit the normally closed buzzer contacts short circuits the capacitor.
When the relay coil is energized the contacts open
and a current flows from the relay coil thru the Tesla primary and thru the
capacitor.

Was the diagram you received the one that is shown on page 75 in the book
"My Inventions" by Nikola Tesla and edited by Ben Johnson? This photo was
shown on the List many years ago. This is a similar coil to the coil you
show and is an induction coil. The photo on page 75 shows only the TC
primary coil and not the secondary coil.

  With a true Tesla coil the energy is built up in the Tesla primary
capacitor and when the voltage across the capacitor is high enough the gap
"closes" and the capacitor discharges into the Tesla primary coil. This is a
dampened sine wave current.

I show a similar circuit in my TCC Guide for the 70 KV TC System. This
system uses an induction coil (relay) to store the energy and energize the
Tesla primary. The relay contacts are normally closed and open when there is
enough energy in the relay coil. The current from the coil then flows thru
the Tesla primary coil. The capacitor is across the relay coil in this
circuit to protect the coil.

If you have a different diagram could you post it on the List?

John Couture