Re: 'true" spark length was Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I was thinking the same thing, but the coil Malcom was
talking about was near the same size of yours (or at
least the sparks are).
 > Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry
 > Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>
 >
 > I think the bps at which streamer growth starts
 > depends very strongly on
 > the size of the coil. My reasoning is that it's a
 > surface area to volume
 > ratio thing: A big volume of plasmafied air keeps
 > its heat longer than a
 > small one.
 >
 > I'll do some growth measurements this weekend and
 > try and make a length vs.
 > bps graph or something.
 >
 > P.S. I use the controlled spark method for all my
 > measurements.
 >
 > Steve C.
 >
 > At 12:36 04/07/03 -0600, you wrote:
 > >Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz
 > <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > ><chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 > >
 > >Hi,
 > >
 > >I wouldn't have thought that the streamer growth
 > would
 > >have made that much of a difference, at such a low
 > >break rate, and such a small coil. If I remember
 > >correctly, Steve's mini OLTC didn't show streamer
 > >growth until around 400 bps.

=====
Jimmy

_