Re: MMC cap bank

Hi DC,

At 09:01 PM 7/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>My info comes direct from Beau Meskin, Pres. of PCI in Chicago, who has
>visited my lab and commented on the MMC project.  He said they would work
>for a while but would ultimately fail due to excessive corona at the caps
>edge plate surface.  He said the only way to prevent this from occuring is
>to immerse them in oil, usually silicon oil, which is the way all of their
>commercial caps are mfg.

>MMC's and Terry's work with them is terrific.  I only meant to point out
>that failure would be a probable mode when operated as the poster posted on
>the Tesla List.  Running at DC ratings in a non-oil cap just won't work for
>extended periods of time.
>
>Dr. Resonance

When a poly cap gets more than about 320VAC across the plates (in air),
ionization starts.  This well known "ion inception voltage" is what
controls the AC rating.  In poly caps, there are actually two poly layers
in series so the voltage is doubled to ~630VAC.  You will note that
practically all poly caps have an AC voltage rating limit of ~630VAC  It is
just a fixed limit.

Above the ion inception voltage, the dielectric gets a real pretty blue
glow as stray ions bombard the dielectric.  In time, the dielectric gets a
rainbow hue to it as the long poly molecules get broken down by the
ions.  You can slightly see this when an old well used MMC cap is taken
apart.  Of course, this effect does not occur under DC conditions.  At DC,
pure dielectric punch through limits the voltage.

So why do MMC work so well?  "Time".  It takes a long time for the ions to
cut through the poly.  As far as I can tell, we are looking at about 1000
hours.  Far too short for most commercial applications needing 10's of
years of life, but a lifetime to most Tesla coils.  There are all kinds of
equations and guides, but one really has to test a given cap for ion
failure time.  A lot depends on the thickness and purity of the dielectric.

Commercial caps cannot take a single over voltage event.  You have to rate
them high in voltage since one hit and they are gone.  MMCs simply don't
have that problem, so we rate their voltage right to the limit (and well
beyond).  Josh's filter with the "poped" poly caps was pretty cool.  All
the case plastic got blown off from the dielectric breaking down.  But they
all self healed and still work fine!!  MMC caps can (and have) taken 100's
of thousands of hits with little real harm.  After a while they look pretty
bad and the dielectrics look like Swiss cheese...  but they keep on going.

Since Geek Group caps are so common, a simple test would be to string say 5
of them together and run 7.07kV across them from an NST (be sure the cap
value is not resonant with a given NST!).  Then just sit and wait... to see
how long it takes for them to fail.  One has to be careful since it may
burn one's house down if they flame out when your not there and there is a
big electrical hazard and all that.  But that test would pretty well define
the lifetime.  It is interesting to note that at first they will just
self-heal.  But eventually, they will obviously go "bad".  As far as I
know, no MMC has ever failed from ionization.  Just to hard to get 1000+
hours of run time on a coil ;-))  Perhaps your coils get run much more, so
you may have to worry far more than most.  Of course, you buy caps most of
us can't afford too ;-))

I am not sure if Mark Broker is looking for a science experiment ;-) but
maybe the Geek group could run this test safely.  It would be interesting
to really know...

Of course, MMC caps can be configured to any value to match one's NST, are
easy and fairly cheap to get, well known, "almost" fool proof ;-)), self
heal if they get "hit", easy to make....  For the average home coiler, they
are just about the only way to go. I don't know how many half finished
rolled poly oil cap projects got dropped when MMC caps hit the scene, but
it was a lot...  Very early on in the MMC thing, rolled oil caps became
extinct from Tesla coiling...  So MMCs may not be ready for 1000 year space
duty, but considering what we used to do ;-)))  I don't think anybody has
made a rolled cap for about two years now unless they didn't know about MMCs.

One big deal too is the MMC have those bleeder resistors.  That has saved a
lot of our rear ends ;-)))

Of course, the commercial cap makers don't sell to "us" for obvious
reasons.  I remember the great "stir" that caused as people worried where
they would get good caps.  I wonder if the commercial guys noticed that
they got "designed out" :o))  Cornell-Dubilier sure noticed when they got
"designed in" :-))  DigiKey sure notice as thousands and thousands of those
0.056uF Panasonic caps kept getting ordered...  I remember the great gasp
we all took when they went on back order for four months (I ordered the
last 2000 and had the market cornered :o)))...  I think the valued used on
the "terry filter" is still on intermittent back order to this day.  I
think caps are just about the only consistent thing coilers "will" spend
real money on...

I guess I'll stop...  I still have not quite gotten out of the mode of
"defending" MMC's...  We won that one a long time ago :o)))

BTW - "Terry" did not invent the MMC, I just worked a lot on them.  Many
many others deserve most of the credit there.

Cheers,

         Terry