RE: 'true" spark length was Re: Desktop Bipolar Coil

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Steve -

As you mention in your post we should be able to produce a standard spark
length parameter. The coiler normally measures the TC energy input as a
continuous watt second input. The TC output therefore should be measured as
a continuous load. This can be accomplished by using a controlled spark.

If a spark output is used the output should be a continuous number of sparks
of equal length. This can be done by controlling the spark so the horizontal
distance from the secondary terminal to a ground point is such that the
spark fires at every break per second (BPS). This type of operation also
gives a meaning for using the BPS as a parameter in calculations.

The controlled spark test has been discussed many times in the past on the
List. The test has some problems and has not been accepted by the majority
of coilers. The random maximum spark is used instead which makes no sense as
I have pointed out in other posts.

John Couture