Re: Practical limit to number of turns on primary ? ? ?

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

 > Marc,
 >         A query on this statement from Dave:
 >
 > On 29 Jan 2003, at 11:51, Tesla list wrote:
 >
 >  > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > In a message dated 1/29/03 7:24:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
 >  > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >  > >Bart,
 >  > >   I personally believe the extended length of the discharge is due
to the
 >  > >space charging of the system itself. in the 120" strike to the aluminium
 >  > >ladder, the ladder itself glowed with a corona extending toward the
 >  > >discharge just before contact.
 >
 > <snip>
 >
 >  > Anyway, I guess I'm just wondering if the current level of 2 kVA, 120"
 >  > sparks is going to be as high as the current level of 7 kVA, 120"
 >  > sparks, assuming, of course, full proper tuning of both coils?
 >  >
 >  > Sparkin' in Memphis,
 >  > David Rieben
 >
 > Was that 2kW measured at the wallplug? If so, John Freau's equation
 > relating power to sparklength is in need of serious revision and you
 > appear to have reached a cherished goal I first had in mind about 7
 > years ago.

malcolm,
  The two kva was a result of using two 1kva control transformers
paralleled to ballast the 300-1 potential transformer. I also had twin
ct's on the power leads to the pt which were connected to the current
meters on my control panel.
  I must say that it took much finesse of primary height and tapping to
achieve this max strike, but i have it on tape and will try to get it on
my site.
  We must start to understand that not only the energy input of a system
governs the strike distance, also the space charging is included toward
total output.
Marc M.