Re: Energy storage in primary?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

HI Terry,

On 28 Jan 2003, at 12:52, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi Malcolm,
 >
 > Yes!!!  A car ignition coil may be the perfect coil for this.
 >
 > One would have to use say a GM HEI coil with the core cut away to get a
 > "true" loosely coupled Tesla coil.  Then an electrode could be added and a
 > suitable cap found for the primary that would tune the system.
 >
 > Unlike the GMHEICSLR thing, current would be the main driver.  So the gap
 > would be replaced with say an IGBT and a current source (only a few amps
 > now, a plain battery...) would drive the system.
 >
 > I worry a little about the voltage kickback, but were only starting with a
 > few amps so maybe it would not be too high for say a 1200V IGBT.  I would
 > think such a system could easily get to Jolyon's 6 inch
 > requirement.  10kHz, 3 amps, ??? inductance, 1.7uF capacitance...

If the "primary cap" is placed across the switch it would limit the
risetime of the waveform and the switch should not be at all troubled
by inductive kickbacks. I've driven cored ignition coils with
bipolars and it's commonly been done in car ignition systems. I like
the idea of removing the core. It would decrease the necessary dwell
time to hit a given primary current considerably. It should be a very
workable scheme to get 6" from a well-built and insulated coil. Just
how reliable a GM coil might be under continuous repetitive
conditions is an interesting question, especially if air streamers
are allowed.

Regards,
malcolm