Re: Tips on setup/tuning for first coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CoolCorals-at-aol-dot-com>

Thanks. For your advice!  I will keep this in mind.

I did however add a 15" clear PVC section to the top of my secondary before
the torrid to eliminate the possibility of spark to primary.  I see you say
to space a few inches, is this longer distance still okay?

For the Spark gap, I was going to do a 1st run at maybe 4Kv or so by
setting the spark smaller is this okay?  I have a linear DC Supply I was
going to use to get an idea of the spark point in addition to what Win
Tesla says.  I was thinking of first running a 3-series static spark gap
and then maybe later replace with a SRSG or ARSG.

A question on the primary design.  I would agree, a scrap coil first to
test and then a "nice one" for a final is a great idea!  I also see how
longer turns can allow for more tapping spots if necessary.  My curiosity
lies in the then extra length most coils have.  Now I know there's not any
"voltage" past the tap, but wouldn't it still, so to speak, vibrate with
the tank?  Like a string in the air if you hold the middle both sides will
move.  I was just curious how that might affect things.

Finally, sorry for so much, what about just using an adjustable primary Cap
instead of taps?  As long as you don't exceed the max impedance of the
neon's secondary.

Thanks, Brad K.