RE: ASRG - Performance Testing

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

5. I would challenge anyone who has made one of these gaps to run a simple
test: will the gap run continuously for 1 week without self destructing? I
don't mean commutating an operating Tesla coil, but just sitting alone in a
corner behind a shield with the motor running.  This might seem extreme at
first, given the duty cycle of a Tesla coil, but certainly a rotary gap
could be expected to see several hours of cumulative run time over the life
of a coil. Demonstrating a survival time of 20X actual run time (or 40
hours) is not unreasonable, given the possible consequences of failure.

it could be broken down into say 8 hour intervals over a period of a few
days,
or do you think its absolutely necessary to have a continual 40 hour run???
I know at work, some tests require uninterrupted testing while others can be
broken down and run through a few sessions.

Dan