Re: My first ARSG, or a Dangerous Design?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Scott,

On 23 Jan 2003, at 8:00, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Scott Hanson by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

 > Some time ago, when I saw the first proposal for a rotary gap based on this
 > design, I cringed but refrained from making any comments.
 >
 > However, I feel that I must warn anyone who would consider this "makeshift"
 > type of rotor that it is unquestionably the most dangerous design concept
 > that I have ever seen proposed on the TCML. Please understand that this is
 > not a personal attack on anyone who has conceptualized, designed, or built
 > such a device; its just that this design is intrinsically incredibly
 > dangerous, and is contrary to all conventions and design standards that have
 > been established for high speed rotating machinery.
 >
 > The single greatest weakness in this design is in the attachment of the
 > rotating electrode (tungsten rod) to the "hub". The only thing retaining the
 > rod in the hub is friction, whether it is obtained from a press fit of the
 > rod into the hub, or side load provided by a set screw, etc. The coefficient
 > of friction between any plastic and a smooth tungsten rod is very low.

I agree. The gap I built that I referred too had the copper rods
brazed together at the centre.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>