Re: A laser pointer killed my coil?

Original poster: "c d by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I have read that high powered lasers or even
concentrated ultraviolet light can ionize a path in the
atmosphere which can then serve as a path for voltage to follow.
I also read an ultraviolet on a coil will slightly Ionize the
air and breakout will occur at a lower voltage.
----
My thoughts on the laser pointer were more like
it may have ionized molecules in the laquer that
is insulating my secondary. Maybe not shorting out turns but
perhaps messing up the electrical properties of the insulation
somehow. Perhaps making a vertical line of slightly less insulating
insulation???

But see I know
Im probably crazy.
Chris Dowdy