RE: Some pretty good sparks!

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Charles,

What type of camera are you using???  Although Dr. Resonance claims shooting
at f/1.4 is good, I think it is much
too large an aperature for shooting a tesla coil since it does have a very
narrow depth of field.  I'll usually try to
shoot at least at f/5.6.  Also, shorter exposures always look better in my
opinion as longer exposures tend to have too many arcs which doesn't look as
good as a few good streamers.  If you are shooting digital, you can also
shoot a bunch of quick shots (<1/10sec) and then stack them in photoshop.
Also, if you are shooting in brighter light conditions, you may have to use
photoshop to bring out the streamers a bit more against the brighter
background.

The following was a shot taken with my Canon D60, but originally, the arcs
were very faint compared to the overall brightness of the scene.  Because I
only had a few shots, I had to make modifications in photoshop to salvage
this photo.
Basically, I created an alpha channel (mask) of the arc streamer using
quickmask mode, and then adjusted the levels to brighten up the arc a little
bit.  The arc looks a bit more unnatural, but it does emphasize it which is
important in this shot.

http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/images/sstc2_action02.jpg

Also, Terry Blake has had much success in capturing great arc shots with his
DV camcorder by using frame capture.  You can see some of his frame capture
shots at:  www.tb3-dot-com

Dan

Charles

Try using some Fuji Velvia -- it has the very best color saturation I've
ever seen for spark pictures.  We shoot wide open f1.4 and 4 sec. times
exposure.  It also helps to have a vertical ground wire approx 5-6 feet long
hanging down near the coil as the spark "walks" up this ground wire and
gives some very interesting effects when photographing.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corp.
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo,  WI  53913