Re: A laser pointer killed my coil?

Original poster: "c d by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I had a similar experience
I was running the coil on a very humid windy night outside
hard to say for sure cause and effect, but I started the
coil and ran it for about 30 seconds with very nice output,
3x 24 inch sparks.
Untill my friend pointed a laser at my secondary.
I saw it and shut the coil down immediately.
No apparent harm done I commensed operating the coil agian
to my suprise it would no longer output sparks. I checked every
connection, checked the capacitors, spark gap, transformers. Everything
was fine. So reluctantly I attached breakout points to the the
torus and got it to put out 1 meager 12 inch spark.
To this day that secondary does not seam to function as well.
I even built a new primary and the best I can manage is
18 inch sparks. This secondary putout measured 26inch sparks
from 2 12000v30ma Nsts before the laser pointer.

I have since wraped a very similar secondary and am planning
on testing it against the laser marked secondary to see if
it really has been damaged. As soon as my garage warms up.

Honestly It freaked me out
wanted to ask you guys about it
but I was thinking I was totaly crazy.
Was just going to test it out and then say something, been
critisized for non scientific contributions :) needed some data

I used laquer as my coating for the secondary.
On 26awg on Plexiglass tube.

Chris