Re: Cutting torroidal cores

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Hi all,
 >    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about
 > cutting a 1/2" wide slot in a torridal core? (the kind that
 > you find in variacs) I need to cut a slot all the way
 > through to make a "c" core so that a metal disc can pass
 > between the poles. The cores are made from soft iron strap
 > that's been coiled. They've also got plastic formers around
 > the inside and outside. I've heard mention that they tend
 > to come apart when cut... Is there any way to prevent this?
 > I've got access to a really good machine shop..
 >
 > Thanks for any help!
 >
 > Coiling In Pittsburgh
 > Ben McMillen

	I'm answering this late so you've probably gotten lots of replies, but
correction.  The core is NOT soft irong strap!  It is very thin and hard
silicon steel and very difficult to cut with a saw.  I suspect a diamond
abrasive cutoff wheel would work OK.  Don't understand the very wide
cut, which seems larger than you need for a very effective air gap.

Ed