Re: NST TEST GRAPHS (was NST power test)

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>

Hi Jim,all,

Richard Hull's valuable measurements are indeed easily and satisfactory
represented by a simplyfied transformer model, as is always implicitely
used by coilers, when calculating a resonant primary cap: an ideal
transformer connected to leakage inductance (as seen from the secondary
side). With optimized parameters, for example the 5/30 NST:

         U2o/U1=42     485 H    i2 (i2k=27.6mA -at- R=0)
o---------L ¦¦ L------LLLLLLL---->--o------.
          L ¦¦ L                    ^      ¦
          L ¦¦ L                    ¦      R
U1=120V   L ¦¦ L  U2o=5.03kV       U2      R
(60Hz AC) L ¦¦ L                    ¦      R
          L ¦¦ L                    v      ¦
o---------L ¦¦ L--------------------o------.

One important thing, which is missing in Richard Hull's measurements, is
the short circuit current i2k (->when R=0), which is 30mA, by the nameplate
of the transformer, and had to be slightly modified to 27.6mA, for best
representation of  the tests. I had a closer look at the data, using Excel
97, see:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/Neon_Hull_Sk.xls  (53kB)

Relevant for this "closer look" was, to verify, that the whole range of
operation of this NST can be represented with a single value of the
stray-inductance. I guess, sometimes it goes forgotten, that the nameplate
current of an NST is the short-circuit current, if not mentioned otherwise.

If extending tests, like the one of Richard Hull, carefully including
capacitive loads in the investigation may add to the value of the results
for TC-coilers. More elaborate models, including copper and iron losses are
opened, when including a wattmeter in the investigations.

Cheers,
       Kurt Schraner