Re: Old tesla coil - First light

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/14/03 7:44:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi:
>
>Maybe you remember the old Tesla coil that I was restoring:
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/oldtesla.html
>Today I powered the Tesla transformer up, and it worked.
>I used a 5000 V, 30 mA NST, a 5.08 nF MMC primary capacitor, and
>a static gap made with 6 copper tubes and a blower. No filters.
>As ground, I used a counterpoise made by the structure that
>supports the coil, and an aluminum plate in the ground.
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/otsetup.jpg
>It produces 15 cm streamers at both tips of the terminal, with
>some corona at the center ball too:
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/otstr1.jpg
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/otstr2.jpg
>http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/otstr3.jpg
>
>The performance is practically the same that I obtain with
>my transformerless coils with the same (not very powerful)
>power supply. Maybe a bit better, due to the higher voltage
>gain and the thick secondary wire.
>
>The cardboard secondary form doesn't appear to be a problem.
>The insulation between the primary coil and the grounded base
>is not very good. I had to use the upper section of the primary
>coil, because with the lower section I was getting sparks,
>apparently inside one of the ebonite support columns, between
>the bottom turn and a screw that fixes the support to the base.
>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Antonio,

What is the history of this coil?  It certainly is tall and thin.  Must be
an 8:1 or 10:1 h vs w ratio.  It looks like it is wound with very small
diameter wire.  Looks like thousands of turns.

Ed Sonderman