3 probably awful beginners questions ;-)

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello ererybody.

Im quite new to coiling, but last weekend I finally got my first coil
started for a first light.
But after reading a lot of Stuff about configuration and tuning there are a
few Questions left up to this point.

1: I Use a 10KV / 40Ma Power-Supply with a 11nF cap at about 185KHz. The
Tesla-Calculator I have tells me I won't ger more power / longer arcs by
increasing the xformer's powerlevel, is that right? I only get 14" arcs to
a grounded piont with a 900turns coil ( 1,5ft high, 4"dia  with a 4"/15"
toroid ) and I wonder if more Power would get the thing done or if the cap
yust can't store more energy.

2.: I measured out the coil with a signal-generator ( hope the term is
right ) and osziloscope, but with the values I received the coil wouldn't
work at all, so I tuned by hand an It started working.( far away from the
point I measured out ) But I can chang almost 1 turn up/down on the primary
with no measurable difference in performance, is that normal?, shouldn't
there be en exact point?

3: My sparc-gap ist a static with an fan, rather unprofessional design.
When then Fan is at full power ( this takes aprox 3 secs after Power on )
the arcs get a little longer but I get very very bright arcs from the
ground point of the SEC to the inner winding of the PRI, may my coil be
extremely out of tune but run anyway? the two parts are about 3 inches
apart, so at about 15KV I thought nothig should go wrong.....?! may this be
the point where I loose Power? ( I#m almost sure a arc of that size will
consume a lot of power, ) I saw qiute similar coils having almost 3 times
the arc-legth..

I'd be glad to hear some of your experts opinions to these 3 questions..

Thank you very much in andvance

sincerely

Christoph Bohr