RE: Metal Screws and Salt Water Caps

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

My coil has morphed considerably since the experiment, but the (active)
primary diameter was approximately 18"-19".  I would say that an
NST-to-primary spacing rule of thumb is more like a primary radius or more,
and even then, there is some leeway.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Paul Benham by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<paulb-at-woodanddouglas.co.uk>

One question Gary,

What was the overall diameter of the primary? (the part with the current
flowing through it, not including the outer turns after the tap point).

Maybe we can get a general rule from this, eg keep large metal objects at
least the primary diameter's away from it when directly under the coil.  As
you say, the spark gap is probably still the greatest loss, but I like the
idea of keeping losses to a minimum if it is easy to do from the outset of
design.  I have set my primary's height to its diameter above the floor to
try and minimise any eddy loss.

Cheers,

Paul Benham.