RE: CP out of Tesla Business, again!

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

We were among that group, and CP capacitors power ALL current HVFX rental
stock.  Recently CP seem to have become a little more open about their TC
range and have started to sell them to new customers.  Then, yet again,
someone mistreated their product, blew it up and now they are out of TC
business for ever.  I really can't express my frustration at this.  The
designers at CP are real professionals, tell them what you need and they'll
build you a cap that can take it day in, day out without even getting warm.
I know their test procedures and voltages, and there is no way a cap could
get through then fail in service.  The bottom line is that if you blow up a
cap from CP, or NWL, or PCI, or Maxwell, then you didn't spec. the cap
properly.  Ed Wingate and many others will bear me out on this.

transmitter engineer, I have
had to work with thousands of different capacitors from NWL, Maxwell, CP,
Plastics, etc...
We have had hundreds of caps (which were stringently derated according to
military specifications) fail.
Some failed poorly, some failed spectacularly.  High voltage is a dangerous
game and complex game.
Things WILL blow up out of the blue.  Even the best designed tesla systems
are subject to failure.

absolutely nothing unless
those items are tested to the EXACT duty and conditions they will be
subjected to in the field.  This
especially goes for telsa coil use and radar transmitters as well.  We have
had loads of components fail
including $400,000 HV Power supplies which go through the most stringent
testing as possible only to fail
one-by-one once they are installed and ran in a high voltage system.

MISTREATED the product.

Dan