Cleaned up variac

Hi All,

While testing a NST for a friend's kid wanting to make a coil for a science
fair (tis the "science fair season"... ;-)), I 'somehow' miss-wired the
golly darn meter-o-logistcal-stuffs and pulled a LOT of current out of my
variac.  A bought new Staco...  I done did burn't a rough spot on the
winding...

I just went over the spot with 600 grit wet/dry sand paper and cleaned up
with alcohol and it's good as new :-))  Noting the burn marks, I think
cleaning the variac contact surfaces 'once in awhile' may be a good
thing.  They seem to be made from materials that will tarnish with time and
cleaning may help them resist damage.

Of course, like break rotors on a car, excessive "cleaning" may shorten the
life.  Hard to say what is best, but a "little" cleaning seems to pay off
well ;-))  I went over the windings lightly with the 600 grit and wiped the
brush 'lightly' on it too and now it is as smooth as silk.

Cheers,

	Terry