Re: Tesla Coil Shunts??(repost)

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>I posted something like this a while ago, but never got an answer. Sorry
>to bug you guys again.("Oh great, It's that guy who can't build a tesla
>coil right. Why dosen't he ever get a clue and stop trying"? =P) We wound
>our primary coil in a bit of an oddball way. We had a bunch of 1/4"
>coaxial cable straps laying around. These things are little plastic arches
>with a 1/2" nail in one side. You stick the cable underneath the arch and
>pound the nail into whatever you want to hold the cable to. We found that
>the distance between two of these was the perfect spacing for our
>windings, so we wound the primary around these things and nailed them in.
>It dosen't arc between them, but there are about 110 of these nails in the
>spacings between the windings of the primary. So could these be the
>culprit of why my coil still puts out sub-par sparks? I keep thinking they
>might be acting like shunts in an NST

         How?
         Their magnetic circuit is open...

>  but I'm not sure.  Anyone have any idea?

         My guess is they are having little effect.
         If possible, check in the dark for corona at the
         points, if the points are visible.

         My guess is there is none, and they are not causing
         losses.

--
         best
         dwp