Re: Oscilliscope Question

Hi John,

Your question here can have a very complex answer.  Read these two papers
to get started:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/planant/waveant3.html

For a beginning, you can just hook a length of wire about 12 inches off the
scope's input and it will easily pick up the coil's fields from tens of
feet away.  Radio Shack has many BNC connector things if you need them.

The plain wave antenna can be made far more cheaply than I did it.  It is
very useful and I still us it all the time despite may getting all kinds of
fancy probes since

I would not hook anything "directly" to the coil unless you really know
what you are doing.  Tesla coils are so high power that you can measure
their effects  far away very easily and safely.

Cheers,

         Terry