Re: spark size and JOHN FREAU's FORMULA

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Dan, Paul,

I agree with all this.  Also, the spark lengths do not seem to track
exactly according to the square law.  Larger coils are able to meet the
formula's results relatively easily, whereas very small coils may not be able
to.  I experimented some with more complex formulas using various
roots such as the 1/16 root, etc., in an attempt to make the formula
"track" better.  There's info in the archives about this, but generally
I just consider the formula to be a guide for one to gauge the
"efficiency" of their coil.  It's true that many coils give sparks that
are 50% or less, of what the formula "predicts".

Happy New Year,
John Freau