Re: Alternative capacitor materials

Original poster: "zachary rohrer by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <zcroh-at-comcast-dot-net>

A few more silly questions from a beginner...

Has anyone tried using paraffin or a paraffin/oil potting compound
instead of the mineral oil floating on top of the electrolyte in a
saltwater cap(so as to make a spillproof/more durable cap)?

Is there any chance of improving the "lossy" characterisitcs of glass by
coating it with a thin layer of something else, possibly PE or the like?
A thin layer could be layered on by dipping in molten PE or PE/wax
compound. Or even a coat of polyurethane? Would anything be gained by this?

Also, are there any readily available kinds of tubing that have a high
dielectric rating to make HV wire with? I haven't found a listing for
clear vinyl tubing's puncture voltage yet. If anyone knows this please
tell me.

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 15:30, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Rob Judd by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <canska-at-a5-dot-com>