Re: Can You Get Zapped . . . Wears the Eye and Hearing Protection??

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Timothy, Group,

One thing almost everyone on this group in my experience fails to ever
mention is the use of eye and hearing protection when running coils.  These
are equally as important as
any of the high voltage safety practices one should use when operating a
tesla coil.  People on this group will rant and go on and on and on about
high voltage safety and how that one
mistake with high voltage will be your last, but no one ever seems care that
it only takes one accident to blind you for life.  Sure, prolonged RF high
voltage exposure can cause damage
in the long run even without feeling pain etc.., but so will running your
coil without hearing protection. As Matt D. said, "You can get away with it
every time EXCEPT the last one."  The
same goes for eye protection.  Only takes once to blind you for life.

We on the group always stress high voltage safety but almost never stress
eye and hearing protection.  I think if we feel its so damn important to
stress high voltage safety to each other, than
why not stress eye and hearing protection as well???  Lets start posting
pictures on our websites with us wearing eye and hearing protection (myself
included as in the past I am guilty as
well as not wearing eye protection).  Sure we all put those high voltage
disclaimers on our websites, but I rarely ever see anything stressing eye
and hearing protection.

If we're going to stress safety, we might as well go all the way and set an
example for newcomers and seasoned veterans alike to follow.

The Captain