RE: Splicing Primary Copper Tubing

Original poster: "Christopher \"CajunCoiler\" Mayeux by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>

 > Anyone have a brief description how this is done?  I guess
 > its done with a blowtorch, plumber's solder, and some flux.

You'll also need a flaring tool, which will stretch the end
of the tubing to where the end of the new tubing will fit inside.

Once flared, make it shine with some sandpaper or steel wool, then
put a good coat of flux over it.

Next, put the ends together, and heat them until they glow to a
cherry red, then quickly remove the heat, and apply the solder
to the red zone... it should flow evenly into and around the joint
in the tubing.  Then shut off your torch, and wait for it to
cool... do NOT try to quick cool it with water or freeze spray.

Your best bet for solder would be a good high-temp flavor silver
solder with a flux built in... my recommendation is a variant
known as "silphos" (pronounced "sill-foss").